Sunday, February 17, 2013

Response to "Barbie Doll"

This poem is in response to Marge Piercy's poem Barbie Doll which can be found here

Doctor
Now, this is the doll that
every little girl must have!
The sales girl slides the box
closer towards my hands.
I squint my eyes
and look at the plastic princess-girl
beneath the cellophane.

So this is what good mothers
give their good daughters? 
You bet!
These dolls will inspire your daughter-
see this one!- she's a doctor- 
don't you want your daughter to be a doctor?  
Especially in this day and age-
it's a man's world.

A doctor.
I place the pink and purple box in my cart.
My daughter's going to be a doctor.

3 comments:

  1. I really loved your response. I find that it is very relevant. Mother's buy their children toys that will inspire them, to give them dreams. Toys are how children relate to the real world, I believe. I think you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wrote in response to Barbie Doll, but I really appreciate the approach you have here. It's perfectly sarcastic and realistic at the same time while providing a clear message to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this poem. It's sardonic and bitingly funny the way you show how mothers so easily buy into western society's high expectations for their daughters to pick high paying, high power jobs in order rise up in this "man's world." Your work compliments "Barbie Doll" well.

    ReplyDelete