This poem is in response to William Carlos Williams' poem "This Is Just to Say" which can be found here
thank you for getting me breakfast
I accidently took
the entire bag
that I found in
the fridge
I didn't realize
til much later
that there were 2 bagels
in the bag
one for me and
one for you
I ate them both
Forgive me TJ
but thank you
for getting me breakfast
When I read William Carlos Williams' poem it instantly reminded me of the time my boyfriend woke up at 6:30 am and went to Brueggars to get me breakfast. Once I woke up for class, I grabbed the bag from the fridge in a rush and didn't realize til I'd gotten to school that it had both his and my bagels. I didn't have any time to get his bagel back to him, so I just ate it (not wanting it to go to waste, of course). When I told Tommy about it he just laughed and wasn't mad, and I felt sort of silly. Williams' poem really put me back in that moment, and I love the "sticky note message" sort of style of this poem.
No comments:
Post a Comment