There was a young girl from St. Paul,
Wore a newspaper-dress to a ball.
The dress caught on fire
And burned her entire
Front page, sporting section and all.
-Anonymous
(Side note #1: It's 12:12 am on Wednesday and we have a blog due in less than 8 hours. I must admit that I did read all of the poems from pages 597-611 and this was the only one my tired brain could even begin to comprehend. It has a familiar rhythm, a clever and slight humor to it, and I can think of a dozen other poems with the same sort of beat from throughout my childhood similar to this one---"There once was a man from Nantucket..." anyone?!)
"There was a young girl..." has a great swing rhythm I want to say, it's almost as if my voice swings back and forth as it goes through the poem. It's a very familiar Limerick style, with an almost Nursery Rhyme type of feel to it. The meaning behind the poem, although entertaining and humorous, is not what I was initially drawn to. It's that song-like swing to it. I love anything I can put a tune to, being very musical, and these little Limericks are perfect for that. In fact: I wrote one about how I'm feeling at this very moment!
There once was a girl who needs sleep
High grades she knew she must keep
But just look at the time
It's too late to rhyme
And I need to finish this blog!
(Side note #2: The original poem by Anonymous also reminded me of those people who made prom dresses out of duct tape. So strange- yet creative)


No comments:
Post a Comment